Exit Site
Click to leave site, or press <Esc> key.

Food Assistance: SNAP (Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program)

  • 24/7
  • Free Service

SNAP goes by different names in different states in the US (i.e. California calls it CalFresh). SNAP benefits provide eligible individuals with a debit card that can be used for food at a wide variety of stores. You qualify based on your income, family size, and other eligibility requirements. You can learn more about your state's assistance and how to apply here by selecting your state from the drop-down menu. You could also google "[state's name] SNAP" and click the appropriate link.

Depending on what county you live in, you can apply in different ways. Student Wellness would recommend that you can call 2-1-1 to see if they assist with applications. Applying through your local 2-1-1 will allow you to have a direct link to your application so that it can stay on track within the county’s system. (While you are speaking with 2-1-1 you can also ask about immediate food assistance as they can provide referrals to local providers.) You can find food banks and distributions local to you through Feeding America here.

Typically SNAP takes about 30 days to process, you may qualify for SNAP Expedited Service (receiving benefits within 3 business days) if: Your household has less than $150.00 in monthly gross income and does not have assets (resources) over $100.00 OR Your household’s total monthly income and resources are less than the monthly rent or mortgage, and utilities.

If one of these things is true for you be sure to let 2-1-1 (or whoever you are applying with) know that you believe you might qualify for expedited services.