Exit Site
Click to leave site, or press <Esc> key.

Healthcare FAQ

1. I don't have health insurance, where do I start?
If you reside in California apply to Covered California here.
If you reside outside of the state of California apply for health insurance here.

2. I am a veteran or active military service member or am a dependent of one, what are my options?
• VA Healthcare- check your eligibility and get coverage here.
• TRICARE- check your eligibility and get coverage here.
• Civilian Health and Medical Program of the Department of Veterans Affairs (CHAMPVA) check your eligibility and get coverage here.
• Spina Bifida Health Care Benefits Program (SBHCBP) check your eligibility and get coverage here.

3. Does my job/employer provide health insurance?
• Inquire with HR about employer-sponsored healthcare plans and how to get started
• You may be able to be covered even if you are a temporary or seasonal worker

4. I have health insurance, but my circumstances have changed, what do I need to do?
Circumstances may include:
• income change
• gain or loss of employment,
• household size change
• return from active military service
• change in immigration status
• lost health insurance
• domestic abuse or spousal abandonment
• married or entered domestic partnership
• turned 26 years old
• affected by wildfires

If at least one of the above applies, contact your healthcare plan provider or call 211 to speak with your agent if you are receiving MediCal or Medicaid to report the change and request assistance with your insurance plan.

5. How can I get assistance with paying my healthcare bills?
• There are payment assistance programs offered by some hospitals and healthcare providers for individuals who are unable to afford their medical bills. These programs may provide discounts, reduced payment plans, or charity care.
• Contact the billing department of the healthcare provider to inquire about any available assistance programs.
• Negotiate with your healthcare providers.

In some cases, healthcare providers may be willing to negotiate payment plans or offer discounts for individuals who are uninsured. It's worth discussing your situation directly with the healthcare provider or hospital billing department to explore potential options.

6. I am aging out of Medicaid/Medi-Cal or need additional care due to a disability/a severe medical condition, how can I keep my coverage?
• Medicare is available for those aged 65 and older in addition to some younger individuals with disabilities and certain health conditions
• Get started with Medicare here.